Friday, April 2, 2010

Swedish Meatballs



After some consultation with my mom, Ash proceeded to make the meatballs. She told us to use lots of allspice, and also to make sure to use ground pork instead of pork sausage, so they don't taste italian. The older recipe, which comes from my grandmother Marian, uses veal instead of ground pork, but veal is harder to come by these days. Baby cows got sick of living in boxes, apparently. In another variation, Ash made rice with the meatballs instead of mashed potatoes, which is the usual starchy base that goes with it. After mixing the meat, onions, and bread, and chilling the mixture, ash then proceeded to brown them, before finally putting them in a casserole dish in the oven with a mix of drippings, allspice, flour etc, and cook until done. The results: really tasty and nourishing, though also really rich.

Ash's take: It was my first attempt at making swedish meatballs, so at first I wasn't sure I was doing everything right. I was really worried about the consistency of the meat, but after the browning of it, it all came together. Next time I'm definitely going to use a little more allspice in the meat, and a little more salt as well. Definitely a meal I look forward to adding into my repertoire.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I have always made them in a large saucepan, taking meatballs out after browning, make sauce in pan with flour etc., then returning meatballs to warm. Probably better your way, however! Mum

    ReplyDelete